Nigella Lawson’s husband Charles Saatchi announces intention to divorce

Nigella Lawson/Twitter

“I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so,” 70-year-old Saatchi told The U.K.’s Daily Mail on Sunday.

“I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.”

“We are instinctively tactile people,” he told The U.K.’s Daily Mail. “Difficult as it may be to believe, for those who have seen the pictures, there was no pressure applied to her.”

Saatchi alleges that his wife was also abusive during their marriage.

“This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart. The row photographed at Scott’s restaurant could equally have been Nigella grasping my neck to hold my attention – as indeed she has done in the past.”

The infamous argument took place at London restaurant Scott’s and Saatchi appeared to grab his wife’s throat.

The shocking photos of Saatchi with his hand around Nigella’s neck, with her in tears, appeared in various tabloids.

Lawson and Saatchi had a son and daughter from her previous marriage to journalist John Diamond and Saatchi’s daughter from a previous marriage.