Difficult to make your way through the jungle of “awards” in the country music industry, a genre that Europeans are not very familiar with but that is a powerhouse in the music industry in the U.S.
Nominated for the category of Female Vocalist of the Year at the CMA Awards, Taylor Swift, a constant winner at these awards, was overturned by a worthy rival: Miranda Lambert.
In a remake of the CMT Awards in June, the young princess of the country-pop went back empty-handed, but can largely be consoled with the sales of her new album “Speak now” and with the two trophies won on Tuesday night at the BMI Songwriter Awards – Country Songwriter of the Year and Best Song of the Year. Moreover, after performing the song “Back to December”, she received an incredible standing ovation from the crowd.
But on Wednesday it was Miranda Lambert and Lady Antebellum that were the revelations of the night, while the hosts of the ceremony, Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley, assured the quality show.
Lambert, who turned 27 years-old on the night of the awards, also was a winner at the CMAs with the award for best female vocalist.
“I don’t know what’s going on,” Lambert said, accepting her trophy for female vocalist. “I just told Blake I think we need to go to church.”
Country legend Loretta Lynn was honored by event organizers for 50 years in the industry.
Paisley gave a tearful speech when accepting his trophy for the year’s best country entertainer and said the night really was about honoring his grandfather, who died in 1987.
“This is a man who loved Buck Owens and he loved Johnny Cash,” Paisley said. “He said, ‘I want you to learn to play the guitar because this is going to get you through lonely times, and you’ll never be alone with this.’”
Most of the winners of the CMA Awards on November 10, 2010:
* Single of the Year – “Need You Now,” Lady Antebellum
* Song of the Year – “The House That Built Me”, Tom Douglas and Allen Shamblin
* Vocal Group of the Year – Lady Antebellum
* New Artist of the Year – Zac Brown Band
* Album of the Year – Revolution, Miranda Lambert
* Musician of the Year – Mac McAnally
* Vocal Duo of the Year – Sugarland
* Music Video of the Year – “The House That Built Me” Miranda Lambert
* Male Vocalist of the Year – Blake Shelton
* Female Vocalist of the Year – Miranda Lambert
* Musical Event of the Year – “Hillbilly Bone”, Blake Shelton and trace Adkins
* Entertainer of the Year – Brad Paisley